Thursday, January 16, 2014

Krispy Kreme Famine

The other night my Dad and I spent some time reminiscing over coffee. His eyes sparkled then he let out one of those very contagious laughs and asked, “Do you remember the Krispy Kreme Famine?” Let me explain…it doesn’t circle around some long boycott of donuts or needed therapy when Krispy Kreme closed in Davenport. The story is quite simple.

In 1997, my Dad decided to join me as I participated in the 30 Hour Famine. Now, if you have ever participated in a fast, you very quickly learn that every commercial on TV or ad on the radio will be circled around your favorite food or dessert, and half way through the event, you can smell the McDonalds located 3 miles away. However, in those moments the Lord speaks directly to your heart, which is what my father and I experienced.

With mere moments until the 30 hours were complete; my Dad looked at me and whimsically asked, “Hungry?” He then remarked that he was quite sure his “stomach was eating his backbone.” So we began to discuss what our victory food was going to be…twenty minutes later, we sat in a middle booth with a fresh, warm box of Krispy Kreme Glazed Donuts…TWENTY SECONDS LATER, the box was wiped clean. LOL. 

 

In John 4, we see Christ offering the Living Water to the Samaritan woman at Jacob’s Well, but have you ever noticed the continued powerful text found in the following verses? Verses 31-34 state, “ In the meantime His disciples urged Him, saying, ‘Rabbi, eat.’ But He said to them, ‘I have food to eat of which you do not know.’ Therefore the disciples said to one another, ‘Has anyone brought Him anything to eat?’ Jesus said to them, ‘My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me, and to finish His work.’ ”

Fulfilling His Father’s will was more important to Jesus than even food. Completing His work was the meat…the substance…at the table of Christ’s heart. It was His ultimate focus and important purpose. We all know that Jesus did eat, but His example in verse 34 shows us where His TRUE HUNGER rested.

I distinctly remember that afternoon being so hungry I INHALED those donuts, and it makes me think am I just as hungry for Jesus?! What about you? Are we driven to finish the assignment God has given us? Do we understand that nothing can satisfy us like the will of God?

LET’S BE HUNGRY ENOUGH TO FINISH!!

No comments:

Post a Comment