Thursday, January 16, 2014

Imaginary Friend

Growing up, I was a normal blonde pigtailed little girl with my very own imaginary friend. She resided in a secret room, hidden with our hallway walls….only I knew the doorbell to her home lay hidden underneath a ceramic black chip in our white bathtub. She was indeed a trusted confidant. But then came the day that my friend had to leave; in my child’s mind, it was like a farewell from Mary Poppins. She was needed elsewhere as my friends had to become more visible. It was a tearful goodbye, yet a step into growing older.

For the past several months, my youth group, Teens Among God, and I have been studying the book of John. We recently read John 14:16-18 (NIV), which states: “And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to help you and be with you forever—the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept Him, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him. But you know Him, for He lives with you and will be in you. For I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.”

So imagine this (no pun intended): Jesus and his friends (the disciples) have spent three amazing years together in ministry. These men had witnessed phenomenal things, learned life changing lessons, performed mighty works, and shared in a view/vision of life that a true friend gives.

Then Jesus says that he will soon be leaving, “going to prepare a place.” He’s telling them GOODBYE. Naturally, the disciples are struck with intense feelings of deep loss (how my little heart felt saying farewell to my imaginary friend). Contrary to my imaginary goodbye, Jesus looks at his friends and reveals a truth, for His Father will send a Comforter (Holy Spirit) to fill the gap in their hearts when He departs. The Holy Spirit would continue to fulfill a REAL FRIENDSHIP and a Divine comfort for the rest of their lives.

The best part is this promise holds true for each of us. With the acceptance of His salvation, the Holy Spirit takes permanent residence in our soul and offers the most authentic friendship ever known to man…the most pure the world has ever seen.

Thankfully, we do not have to worry about pretend or real goodbyes with our God, for He will never leave or forsake us (Hebrews 13:5).

We can stand on the promise of John 14:26-27: “But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”

No comments:

Post a Comment